Here’s a refreshing recipe for a red currant summer drink:
- 2 cups (300g) fresh red currants
- 4 cups (960ml) water
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar (adjust to taste)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Ice cubes
- Fresh mint leaves (for garnish)
- Prepare the red currants: Remove the stems from the red currants and rinse them under cold water. Place them in a blender or food processor.
- Blend the red currants: Pulse the red currants in the blender or food processor until they are pureed and the juice is extracted.
- Strain the juice: Set a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth-lined strainer over a large bowl. Pour the red currant puree into the strainer and press down with a spoon to extract as much juice as possible. Discard the solids.
- Sweeten the juice: Transfer the red currant juice to a pitcher. Add the sugar and lemon juice. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Taste and adjust the sweetness and tartness by adding more sugar or lemon juice if desired.
- Add water and chill: Pour the water into the pitcher with the red currant mixture. Stir well to combine. Place the pitcher in the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Serve: Fill glasses with ice cubes. Give the red currant drink a good stir and pour it into the prepared glasses. Garnish with fresh mint leaves for added freshness and appearance.
Enjoy your refreshing red currant summer drink! Feel free to experiment with the sweetness and tartness by adjusting the amount of sugar and lemon juice to suit your taste preferences. You can also add sparkling water or soda for a fizzy version if desired. Cheers!