This is our favorite summer recipe with eggplant ! Try it asap!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus extra for drizzling)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the herb crust:
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (from day-old bread)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Microgreens or small edible flowers
- Toasted baguette slices or crostini
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (390°F).
- Slice each eggplant in half lengthwise. Score the flesh with a criss-cross pattern and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the cherry tomatoes on a separate baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the eggplants and cherry tomatoes in the preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes until they are tender and slightly caramelized.
- While the vegetables are roasting, prepare the herb crust. In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, chopped parsley, thyme leaves, lemon zest, and olive oil until the mixture resembles a coarse crumbly texture. Set aside.
- Once the eggplants and tomatoes are done roasting, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly.
- Scoop the roasted eggplant flesh into a food processor, discarding the skin. Add minced garlic, balsamic vinegar, and maple syrup. Process until you have a smooth and creamy eggplant caviar. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the tomato confit, gently peel the skin off the roasted cherry tomatoes. They should be soft and flavorful. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven’s broiler.
- Assemble the dish: Spread the eggplant caviar onto a serving platter. Arrange the peeled roasted cherry tomatoes on top.
- Sprinkle the herb crust evenly over the eggplant and tomatoes.
- Place the platter under the broiler for a minute or two, just until the herb crust becomes lightly toasted. Keep a close eye on it to avoid burning.
- Once done, remove from the broiler and drizzle the eggplant caviar and tomato confit with a little extra olive oil.
- Garnish with microgreens or small edible flowers for an elegant touch.
- Serve the Eggplant Caviar with Tomato Confit and Herb Crust alongside toasted baguette slices or crostini for a truly Michelin star-level vegan experience.
This dish combines the luscious creaminess of roasted eggplant caviar, the sweetness of cherry tomato confit, and the fragrant herb crust for an exquisite taste and presentation. Enjoy